Want to win ‘Nanny of the Year’ award? Here’s how
Each year, individuals are nominated and a title is awarded for the Nanny of the Year Award. This award is sponsored by the International Nanny Association (INA). In order to receive this prestigious award, there are several qualifications that must be met.
- Currently employed. In order to be nominated and qualify as a candidate for the Nanny of the Year Award, a person must be currently employed as a nanny. Those without a current position as a nanny, even if they are doing childcare in another type of setting, would not qualify.
- Full time nanny. Nannies who hold a part time position do not qualify for a nomination. All nominees must be currently employed in a full time nanny position. It may be a temporary position or a specialty position, but it must be full time hours, as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act. This is defined as a minimum of 40 hours per seven day period or a minimum of 2080 hours per year.
- Member of INA. Since this award is provided by the INA, one of the obvious qualifications is that the nanny be a current member of the organization at the time the nomination is filed. Membership is easy to apply for on their website and the cost in 2011 is only $35.00.
- 5 years minimum experience. In order to qualify for nomination, the person must have a minimum of five years experience in the in-home childcare industry.
- Meet legal requirements. The person must legally be able to accept employment in the country they are currently employed in, and they must also be paid as an ‘employee’, as defined by the IRS.
- Advocate for Children. Any person nominated for the Nanny of the Year Award should demonstrate, in tangible ways, that they are a genuine advocate for children in general, beyond just the children in their current care.
- Nomination. A nanny cannot nominate herself for this award, but the nanny must be in attendance at the award ceremony during the annual INA Conference in order to receive the award.
- Agreement to Duties. Part of the application for the Nanny of the Year Award is a listing of the duties expected of the winner of the award during the year to follow. There is a Certification Form included with the application which the nominee must sign. It acknowledges that she understands those duties and is willing and able to perform them if she is given the award.
- Letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation from current and previous employers are to be included as part of the application.
- Enriching the lives of children in her care. The nanny being nominated should be able to demonstrate through the materials and references provided with the application that she has had an enriching impact on the lives of the children within her care.
This award is quite coveted among the professional nannies who are a part of the International Nanny Association and quite a bit of work goes into the application process on the part of the nominator and the nominee herself.